1. How does Iowa/Nebraska 2-1-1 benefit me?
There may come a time that you or someone you know needs help, but don’t know exactly what kind of assistance is available – let alone how to access it. 2-1-1 can assist by help clarify your personal situation and then utilize an extensive up-to-date database to determine the best resource(s) for you. 2-1-1 is where you go when you don’t know where to turn for help, acting as a single point of contact to thousands of social service programs.
2. Who is 2-1-1 for?
- Families seeking services for their children
- Seniors seeking legal assistance, benefits help, volunteer opportunities
- Businesses helping an employee find resources to help their family
- Laid-off workers struggling to feed their families
- Disaster victims seeking information
- Teachers, clergy, and agency staff seeking help for their clients
- Anyone seeking services in their community
3. How does calling Iowa/Nebraska 2-1-1 differ from dialing 4-1-1?
A variety of factors distinguish 2-1-1 from 4-1-1. For example, the 2-1-1 call center and database is maintained by a nonprofit organization, rather than a telecommunications company, and the service is offered to callers at absolutely no charge. Moreover, Iowa/Nebraska 2-1-1 minimizes the use of automation, and provides much more than mere directory assistance. We employ trained Information and Referral Specialists who ask questions, make assessments, and offer assistance navigating potential service providers. The Information and Referral Specialists are both caring and empathetic; they are people to call when you don’t know where to turn for help.
4. Can you assist Non-English Speaking individuals?
Non-English speaking callers are assisted by a telephone interpreting service with access to 150 languages.
5. Do you have many programs in your database that can help me?
A comprehensive and up-to-date database is maintained with over 13,000 programs and services listed. Each caller’s circumstance varies and trained Information and Referral Specialists work with each individual to try to locate resources that may be able to assist them.
6. How do I reach the 2-1-1 that serves my county?
Iowa/Nebraska 2-1-1 Call Centers serve all counties in the states of Iowa and Nebraska. Click on the link to find your 2-1-1 Center
7. Is texting service available?
As Iowa/Nebraska 2-1-1 continues to enhance their services, texting service is presently available in the United Way of Central Iowa and United Way of East Central Iowa service area
. By texting your zip code to 898211, you will reach a trained specialist who can assist you.
8. Do other states have 2-1-1?
9. How does an agency/nonprofit organization become included in your database?
Agencies can apply for their programs to be listed in this database, but first must meet the requirements and criteria of the Inclusion/Exclusion Policy
. Each application request form that is submitted is reviewed for compliance with requirements and inclusion criteria. If you would like to list your agency in the 2-1-1 database, please click on the link
10. My agency is already listed in the 2-1-1 database so how do I update our information?
Annual updates are sent out to each agency listed in the 2-1-1 database to be reviewed and updated. To update your Agency information, click on the link
11. What is 2-1-1’s role in disaster response and recovery?
In addition to our primary role of connecting residents to the help they need, Iowa/Nebraska 2-1-1 is involved in local disaster planning, response, and recovery. Whether it is a flood, windstorm, extended heatwave, ice storm, or other types of disasters, 2-1-1 provides support to community and emergency service providers in the event of a disaster.
12. Do you accept donations?
Gratefully. If you would like to make a tax-deductible donation, please contact your 2-1-1 call center